Field service management (FSM) allows businesses with off-site workers to successfully manage and coordinate their field operations and provide field workers with the resources they require to do their jobs efficiently.
It enables businesses to be more dynamic and flexible, providing greater levels of customer service and improved first-call service success rates. Operational efficiencies can be gained by optimising route and mobile worker schedules to reduce fuel and administration costs, and emergency jobs can be quickly assigned and schedules easily adjusted with minimum disruption.
At a basic level, FSM functionality includes the automation of scheduling service orders and dispatching field workers and real-time visibility of progress vs. schedule and job status. However some software solutions, such as the MPOS field service management solution by Mobile Enterprise Systems, include a whole host of features creating a complete end-to-end field service management solution.
These features include:
- Scheduling and service order management
- Instant new job and schedule adjustment alerts
- Equipment tracking, service and movement history
- Parts and inventory management
- Proof of service photo capture
- Real-time view of mobile worker progress
- Job status updates
- Route optimisation and sat nav
- Time tracking and driver logs
- Integrated invoicing/payment processing
- Sundry upsells
- Regulatory compliance measures
Take a look at the below video to find out more about the features available within the powerful MPOS field service management solution by Mobile Enterprise Systems:
Field service businesses can leverage field service management software to add value, increase productivity and reduce costs in several areas of the business, such as:
- Lower fuel costs: Through route optimisation and dynamic scheduling, drive distances are significantly reduced, fuel consumption decreases and mobile worker productivity improves with more services complete per day.
- Visibility and workforce management:With real-time view of field worker progress vs. schedule, fleet managers and customer service workers are always fully informed of daily progress. This enables better accountability, helps teams manage unexpected delays or problems and ensures urgent service requests can be assigned to the most suitable field worker route.
- Better manage agents or contract workers: For multiple reasons, many companies choose to work with third party field service contractors to manage some or all of their service jobs; and this comes with its own challenges. But, with two-way communication and real-time control of order scheduling, time tracking and field assets, business managers can ensure that customers receive the service they expect inside the promised time windows and field workers are connected to the office at all times.
- Faster first-time service success: In order to complete their jobs to the best of their ability, field workers require instant access to equipment logs and service history, parts and stock data, customer details and any customer-specific instructions. With access to all the information they need at the touch of a button, jobs are completed faster and first-time service success rates improve.
- Better accounting and data entry: By eliminating the need for paper-based processes, administrative resources and costs are significantly reduced. Field workers complete and submit all proof of service and invoice details while they’re still in the field, sending the data back to the office in real-time resulting in improved accuracy, faster invoicing and greater security for future audits.
As a business owner or manager, it’s your responsibility to ensure you stay one step ahead of your competition. Field service management solutions are no longer only relevant to enterprise businesses, but have become a necessary tool for survival, and they now play a hugely important role in the successful management of mobile workers.
With customer demands increasing and the ability to switch to a competitor becoming quicker and easier, it’s vital that your field service business can deliver fast, efficient service to your customers. An effective mobile workforce may be the difference between winning and losing your next big contract.